Payroll and Accounting Support Specialist
The primary function of a Payroll and Accounting Support Specialist is to process payroll and assist in the maintenance of accounts payable/receivable throughout the Suzuki School. The duties expected to be performed in payroll include: ensuring paychecks are correct and delivered on time, calculating salary and overtime, and updating new hires and terminations in payroll system; duties in accounting will cover the billing of monthly tuition, spot checking of receipts and internal collateral (credit cards). Another major component of this position is the adherence to federal, state and local tax laws.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Prepare, process and reconcile bi-weekly payroll for salary and hourly employees
- Prepare the payroll journal entries
- Prepare and upload retirement plan contribution funding after each payroll
- Reconcile employee benefit elections to insurance provider premiums and employees’ payroll deductions
- Update payroll records for pay increases, bonuses, voluntary deductions (insurance elections, retirement), new insurance rates, etc
- Works with employees going on FMLA to prepare insurance obligation calculation and payment plans.
- Is familiar with employees so can keep payroll records accurate and employee statuses accurate
Account Payable Duties
- Manage Amex and Chase credit card purchases made with the corporate card. Export weekly credit card transaction and distribute to all individual credit card holders. Each card holder will provide documentation and coding for purchases on weekly export. Review for appropriate documentation and coding. Prepare online payment before the payment due date
- Reconcile monthly insurance billings, research and correct discrepancies
- Respond to employee and vendor inquiries
Account Receivable Duties
- Participate in monthly billing meeting with admissions coordinator and controller to ensure classroom rolls are correct.
- Prepare monthly tuition billing
- Post tuition checks received to accounts
- Responsible for EZCare maintenance updates such as child move ups, schedule tab, and tuition tab
- Reconcile monthly expense worksheet to G/L
- Spot check kitchen receipts for coding and improper purchases
- Help build the annual payroll budget
- Assist with other projects and office/administrative duties as needed
- Provide assistance to classrooms as needed or in emergency situations
- Assist with coverage of front desk (opening or closing), or campus coverage similar to all the admin team
Major Skills and Competencies:
- Honesty: Completely trustworthy with sensitive company documents, information, and monies.
- Confidentiality: Strictly maintains confidences, without exception
- Technology: Is comfortable with accounting and payroll systems and knowing how to interact with them and learn them.
- Attention to Detail: Concentrates for an extended period of time; catches errors before completing assignments/orders; can keep on top of changes to family record information; maintains high quality standards for his/her work.
- Organization: Maintains a highly organized work space and a pleasant front desk area.
- Accomplishing Tasks Promptly and by deadlines: Demonstrates the ability to get results despite a large workload, competing demands and a fast-paced environment within the specified deadlines.
- Ability to take on more work: Has an orientation on taking on more work instead of less; thrives on learning new skills.
- Procedural Knowledge: Appreciates standard operating procedures (SOP); demonstrates knowledge of SOP by applying any steps, rules and/or guidelines needed to perform his/her job effectively along with an understanding of regulatory requirements.
- Professional Image: Presents self in a professional image at all times in actions and attire.
- Team Player/effective at establishing appropriate boundaries: Maintains positive working relationships with faculty and admin team; effectively handles interpersonal conflict. Can establish effective boundaries so that others are trained and empowered to do their jobs. Is able to establish boundaries in a positive manner.
- Training: effective at training others on how to interact with HRIS
- Punctuality/Dependability/Time management: Adheres to schedule for arrival time and lunches; comes to work on days when scheduled. Manages times well so can get work done during the work day.
Physical Job Requirements:
- Can move around easily– this person must be able to get in and out of chair easily to assist others, and to visit classrooms or other areas of school for position related reasons
- Can sit for long periods of time without needing to move around or take breaks
- Can tolerate others in their space, and enforce appropriate boundaries
Environmental Job Requirements:
- The Accounting office can be tight in space at times with competing demands and therefore a person in this position must be able to function in these conditions.
- Can work at different campuses
- Able to work a flexible schedule dependent on campus needs:
- 1 to 2 days from 9 AM to 6 PM.
- 1 to 2 days as opener 8 AM to 5 PM
- 1 to 2 days as middle shift
- Can schedule time off and minimize unplanned absences which interfere with payroll processing.
- 21 years of age or older
- Infant-Toddler Classroom: Montessori Certification in Infant-Toddler plus a CDA with relevant experience.
- Early Childhood Classroom: Montessori Certification in Early Childhood Education plus a Bachelor’s Degree.
Minimum Qualifications/Position classifications:
- Associate Degree in Accounting
- Prior experience with payroll and A/P processing (3 or more years)
- Hourly, non-exempt
Preferred Qualifications/Position Classifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Prior experience with payroll and accounting (3 or more years)
- Has experience/training to take on more complex accounting tasks
- Salaried, exempt